Thursday, January 3, 2008

Why I created the First Friday Art Walk Sequim


My mission is to encourage expression and I am humbled by the support our community has given me. Creating cultural vitality is financially sound for a population and improves the quality of life in a community. I am a hard working artist who loves to create colorful, meaningful objects and educational arts events.

I wanted to establish a free and inclusive event that includes all forms of the Arts as a means to welcoming our community to participate in an evening of talent, education, and validation of local creative efforts. Thankfully, Sequim has embraced the Art Walk and people share with me that they look forward to what will happen each month as they stroll with their friends and neighbors.

I decided to use my own money / time to go forward to create the Art Walk without looking for outside funding. I have had some financial support from my parents, Floyd and Dona Brock, and one local artist, Carol Eichler. Of course, I couldn’t do any of this without the encouragement of the community at large and the venues on the Art Walk. As the Art Walk has been a success, I hope that people would think of me if they were looking for a facilitator, artist marketer, graphic and web designer, creative educator, and arts advocate.

It is free for businesses and artists of all media to participate and I urge them to contact me to find out how they can be part of this monthly celebration. My hopes are that Sequim will become a destination for creative pursuits and products. A thriving arts community benefits all businesses that in turn support artists, educators, and cultural institutions. My dream is to develop a place that I can make a living as an artist. Happily, others share that dream as well.

Thank you very much, Renne

No comments: